Thursday 21 January 2010

Hyena sketches

I want to make a new children’s picture book about a hyena, so I thought the best place to start would be to look at some pictures of hyenas and try to draw them. This should make character development easier when I start to think about it. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to go and draw some from life, but for now this will have to do.

Hyenas are very strange creatures; they have odd-shaped bodies that don’t really look like any other animal. They look like they have lovely soft fur though.

I’ve been learning lots of fascinating things about them too, mainly that the girls are totally in charge. Awesome.






3 comments:

Oscar said...

Very fun! Is this with charcoal or just lead?

Anonymous said...

Cute hyenas! Much more like real hyenas than the OMG VICIOUS EVIL THINGS from Lion King, too.

Rachael Smith said...

@Oscar They're just with standard old pencils, glad you like 'em!

@fluffy Thank you! I thought so too, hyenas get a pretty bad deal in children's stories usually!